If we consider three soft skills topics like Empathy, interpersonal Skills and Team work and understand very briefly what these are and how these helps us in our life-
Empathy is essential for enhancing our interpersonal relationships, overall life satisfaction and improving our ability to respond well to challenges. Without actively cultivating empathy you will never have strong listening skills or the ability to truly respect others and value your relationships.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS is the ability to communicate or interact well with other people is interpersonal skills It helps us in- Optimism ï Effective Communication ï Problem Solving ï Decision making ï Being a Team Player.
TEAM WORK is co-operation between those who are working on a task. Teamwork is generally understood as the willingness of a group of people to work together to achieve a common aim. The French language has an excellent expression to describe it: esprit de corps- This means a sense of unity, of enthusiasm for common interests and responsibilities, as developed among a group of persons closely associated in a task, cause, enterprise, etc.
What does it do?
- Creates synergy – where the sum is greater than the parts.
- Supports a more empowered way of working, removing constraints which may prevent someone doing their job properly.
- Promotes flatter and leaner structures, with less hierarchy.
- Encourages multi-disciplinary work where teams cut across organizational divides.
- Fosters flexibility and responsiveness, especially the ability to respond to change.
- Pleases customers who like working with good teams (sometimes the customer may be part of the team).
- Promotes the sense of achievement, equity and camaraderie, essential for a motivated workplace.
- When managed properly, teamwork is a better way to work!
We now, need to understand how we develop these skills that should start from self! Here we need to combine a bit of psychology for creating self-awareness.
Understanding self in a cognitive level, helps connecting with people in an effective way, understanding that ,everyone has a different set of values, experiences, relational needs and level.
You must first find out’ How human are you?’, not on an emotional, rational or academic levels, but how open are you in engaging with other humans? Do we judge, assume and get into conflicts?
Our driving force is our experience- psychology helps us understand self and hence establishing valuable relationship with others.
Here are few questions , that can help you understand self-more to a deeper level.
THE MAIN QUESTIONS OF HUMANISM ( HUMANISTIC SCHOOL OF PSYCHOLOGY)
- How do we function as human beings? What motivates us? What does life mean to us and what and what is our purpose?
- What are the real problems we face as human beings? Are there any fundamental problem that we experience? And if so, what are they?
- What is the most helpful way I can treat people, when they are in my company?
- How do I know that my perspective is right? On what truths or ideas should I base my thinking?
- How does an idea or concept apply directly to me? Are my actions a firm representation of my words? How well do I really know myself?
- How do I know that my foundational beliefs and that of my culture are true and accurate? How woud I know I believed an untruth?
Once we take time out for answering these questions to ourselves, we will find it easier to connect with other humans in a level that is more humane and we understand the real meaning of EMPATHY, leading us to a strong interpersonal relationship and paving a way for a stronger team. We then taste real success and happiness in life.
We must remember, until a person’s heart is won, they won’t give their mind.